|Describe a trip you took by bike
You should say:
And explain how you felt about it.
Band 8 Sample
I would like to describe a really exciting tour that I went on last Saturday, which was a bicycle trip around Hoan Kiem Lake, also known as Sword Lake, which is one of the major scenic spots in Hanoi.
I went on this trip with three travelling companions, who were all close friends of mine, and we agreed on riding our bicycles to the Ly Thai To statue at 5 am, which was our point of departure. I’m actually quite an early riser so I found it quite easy to get up that early and be there on time.
And luckily the weather that day was really nice. The air was fresh and the tranquillity of the morning made me feel relaxed but energetic. We biked around the lake five times until about 7am when the sun began to rise and the streets started to get crowded. After that, we gathered at our favourite cafe to sip on cups of strong coffee and to chitchat.
I really enjoyed that bike trip due to several reasons. Firstly, it was a great chance for me to see our city from a very different perspective, a peaceful Hanoi without traffic jams and air pollution. I was able to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city for a few hours and refresh myself to get prepared for a new week.
I think that cycling is also a really great exercise that helps me to strengthen my health, build up my stamina and improve the immune system. And last but not least, I think this trip was a really great opportunity for me and my friends to get together and chat about our daily lives. You know, we are often too busy to meet regularly, so times like these are really valuable.
- major scenic spots – popular place with natural beauty
- travelling companions – people to travel with
- point of departure – place to begin a journey from
- an early riser – someone who wakes up early every morning eg. at 5am
- tranquillity – calm, peaceful and quiet
- gathered – came together
- sip on – to drink slowly
- chitchat – to talk about unimportant things
- escape from the hustle and bustle – to get away from a busy place or city
- refresh myself – to get new energy
- strengthen my health – to improve your health
- stamina – long lasting energy
- improve the immune system – to be healthier against sickness and diseases