|Topic: In many countries, children are becoming overweight and unhealthy.
Some people think that the government should have the responsibility.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Childhood obesity has become a typical sign of deteriorating public health the world over, especially in Western-based countries, where massive amounts of unhealthy food is consumed on a daily basis. In this regard, some people believe governments should do whatever is needed to improve this situation. However, we should not single out governments as the only ones responsible for combating the childhood obesity crisis.
The role of a competent and responsible government is to ensure the well-being of its people. That is to say, if there is any serious threat to the people, as childhood obesity is, the government should be the one to first realize such a threat, introduce and put solutions into practice. However, apart from encouraging regular exercise and healthy diets, I doubt that the government has any further role to play.
The duty to combat obesity in children should not fall on the government alone because parents are, for good reasons, a greater source of influence on children’s unhealthy life. For one, an obese child is often malnourished because they do not receive appropriate nutrients from their food, a truth that reveals parents’ poor choice of diet for their kids. This fact also suggests that parents can have a direct impact on improving their children’s health by choosing healthy eating patterns that contain less sugar and fat. On the other hand, obesity is also caused by lack of physical activity. This can be exemplified by the sedentary lifestyle favored by a large number of youths nowadays. And parents are the only ones who can either encourage or force their children to do more physical tasks or exercise.
The government should of course do what they can to curb the obesity epidemic, no matter how small their impacts might be. Also, I feel the parents of obese children are to blame, and thus need to take responsibility for their kids’ unhealthy condition.
- Childhood obesity: Béo phì ở trẻ em
- A typical sign of deteriorating public health: Dấu hiệu điển hình của sức khỏe cộng đồng đang đi xuống
- To combat the childhood obesity crisis: Chiến đấu với khủng hoảng béo phì ở trẻ em
- To encourage regular exercise and healthy diets: Khuyến khích luyện tập thường xuyên và ăn uống hợp lý
- To receive appropriate nutrients from their food: Nhận chất dịnh dưỡng phù hợp từ thức ăn
- Poor choice of diet for their kids: Lựa chọn chế độ ăn sai lầm cho con cái
- To choose healthy eating patterns that contain less sugar and fat: Chọn khẩu phần ăn chứa ít đường và chất béo
- The sedentary lifestyle: Lối sống ít vận động
- Curb the obesity epidemic: Kiểm soát và hạn chế sự tăng lên của tình hình béo phì