The research-based Focus on Vocabulary series breaks down vocabulary acquisition tasks into achievable, short-term language acquisition goals. Excerpts from popular material give students hands-on preparation for understanding vocabulary as it is found social, academic, and workplace settings.
Learners need to have a very large vocabulary an estimated 6,000 to 7,000 word families according to recent research, to function effectively in an English-speaking environment, and even more to read a range of authentic texts. Now in an expanded two-book series, the research-based Focus on Vocabulary breaks down this seemingly daunting task into achievable, short-term language acquisition goals.
Focus on Vocabulary 2: Mastering the Academic Word List uses thorough recycling of academic words and well-crafted exercises to introduce high-intermediate and advanced students to the vocabulary they need for academic and testtaking success.
- Uses excerpts from popular material to give students handson preparation for understanding vocabulary found in social, academic, and workplace settings.
- Assessing Your Vocabulary Knowledge helps students determine their level of familiarity with each chapter’s target words.
- Within each chapter, target words are carefully recycled in the reading passage and through activities focusing on word meanings, word families, and collocations.
- Strategy practice chapters offer tips for dictionary use, essay writing, word-knowledge expansion, and other vocabularycentered tasks.
- New reading strategies sections in Focus on Vocabulary 2 help students identify text structure and synthesize ideas across texts, among other skills.
- Answer Keys and Tests for Levels 1 and 2 available free online.